The ISSN International Centre and its Governing Board value the Keepers Registry as part of the global identification infrastructure for serials and wish to continue to make its functionality and content available for the UK and international communities of libraries, publishers and scholars.
To maintain this valuable service ISSN International Centre aims to provide a new service from December 2019. To facilitate this development, funding for EDINA to run the current service until the end of November 2019 is to be provided by the ISSN International Centre and the Keepers Agencies.
About the Keepers Registry
The Keepers Registry acts as a global monitor on the archiving arrangements for electronic journals.
The Keepers Registry was developed by EDINA, a centre for digital expertise and online service delivery at the University of Edinburgh, and the ISSN International Centre in Paris. It was first developed as outcome of the Jisc-funded Piloting an E-journals Preservation Registry Service (PEPRS) project, and the beta service first launched in 2011. There is further background information on the PEPRS project website.
The Keepers are the participating archiving agencies acting as stewards of digital content. There are currently twelve participating agencies. Each agency runs a programme for the archiving of e-journals and is making metadata on the journals in their programme available to the Keepers Registry.
The ISSN Register, which contains bibliographic metadata for all journals which have been assigned an ISSN, is at the heart of the Keepers Registry. The ISSN Register is used both as an authority source for ISSNs and to enrich the supplied records.
The Registry has three main purposes:
- To enable librarians and policy makers to find out who is looking after which e-journal, how and with what terms of access.
- To highlight the e-journals which are still "at risk of loss".
- To showcase the organisations (the keepers) which act as digital shelves for access over the long term.
The Keepers Registry service is hosted by EDINA; the metadata, which comprise the core of the service, are supplied by the participating archiving agencies and the ISSN International Centre, Paris. These Terms and Conditions are to be read in conjunction with the Terms and Definitions for the Keepers Registry service.
Please note that any Datasets which you may access and/or download from the Keepers Registry, may be subject to terms and conditions imposed by the owner/Depositor thereof. You are responsible for ensuring that you are aware of and comply with any applicable third party terms and conditions and the Host shall have no responsibility to alert you to these conditions or to assess or ensure your compliance therewith. However, the Host will use reasonable endeavours to alert you to any applicable third party terms and conditions which may affect your use of the Keepers Registry.
Accessing the Keepers Registry
Access to the Keepers Registry is permitted on a temporary basis, and the Host reserves the right to withdraw or amend the service provided on the Keepers Registry without notice (see below). The Host will not be liable if for any reason the Keepers Registry is unavailable at any time or for any period. Notwithstanding the above, users will be provided with at least ten (10) days notice of any scheduled downtime of the Keepers Registry.
From time to time, the Host may restrict access to some parts of the Keepers Registry to Users.
Content of the Keepers Registry
The Host agrees to host third party Datasets and will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the information it provides is current and free of errors. However, the Host does not guarantee the accuracy or fitness for purpose of the Datasets, and provides no warranty, express or implied, in relation to such Datasets including:
- text on the interface and web pages;
- information included or referred to in any website to which a link may be provided within or along with any such Datasets; and
- any information contained in the Datasets from the Keepers Registry.
For the avoidance of doubt, the most up-to-date version of the Datasets can be found on the contributing Depositors website.
You may download Reports from the Keepers Registry and use Datasets at your own risk. The Host shall not be liable for any loss or damage incurred by you through your access to or use of the Keepers Registry and/or Reports, including without limitation, any damage to your computer hardware, data, information or your business that results from such access or use.
The content and information expressed in Datasets are owned by the authors and are not attributable to the Host, unless expressly indicated. Any link(s) which have been provided within or along with any Datasets to third party website(s) should not be taken as the Host's endorsement or approval of those website(s). You are responsible for compliance with the terms and conditions of use of such third party websites. Furthermore, any Datasets which you may access and/or download from the Keepers Registry, and usage of the journals to which the Datasets refer, may be subject to terms and conditions imposed by the owner/Depositor thereof.
Use of the Keepers Registry and/or Reports
You may use the Keepers Registry and/or Reports only for lawful purposes. You may not use the Keepers Registry and/or Reports:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards below;
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); or
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of the Keepers Registry and/or Reports in contravention of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Use.
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of the Keepers Registry;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of the Keepers Registry; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to the Keepers Registry ("Contributions"), and to any interactive services associated with it. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- Be accurate (where they state facts).
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions).
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person.
- Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
- Promote sexually explicit material.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any illegal activity.
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case.
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Files uploaded to the Title List Comparison tool in the Member Services area will be retained, and we may access these files to monitor usage of the tool and for analysis. They will not be made available to any third party.
The Member Services area provides additional functionality for registered users. By registering for the Member Services area you agree that your personal data will be stored by EDINA in accordance with the current Data Protection legislation for the purpose of controlling access to the Keepers Registry, monitoring use of the service, and ensuring data security. Your use of the Keepers Registry will be logged by EDINA and these records retained for a period of 5 years. Your personal data will not be supplied by EDINA to other third parties excepted in cases of suspected misuse of the Keepers Registry or any data available through the Keepers Registry when information may be passed to the ISSN-IC, Jisc and the Keepers Registry Depositors.
We will use your email address to verify your identity and log you in. We will also use your email address to inform you about changes to the Keepers Registry, and to contact you regarding your use of the Keepers Registry and to carry out user surveys.
The Keepers Registry Changes Regularly
The Host will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Keepers Registry is updated regularly and accurately, however the Host and/or Depositors may change the content at any time. If the need arises, the Host may suspend access to the Keepers Registry, or close it indefinitely.
Copyright of content in the Keepers Registry
Copyright in the presentation of, and information relating to, the Keepers Registry (including but not limited to text on the website and interface and the designs of the website, interface and logo) belongs to the Host. You may not copy or use the same without the express permission of the Host.
Most of the Datasets available from the Keepers Registry are subject to copyright. The absence of an explicit copyright statement on a Dataset does not imply that the Dataset is not protected by copyright, and accordingly any unauthorised use by you of any such dataset may be subject to legal sanction. It is your responsibility to comply with the relevant restrictions as expressed in the applicable copyright legislation and any licence provided by the Depositor or copyright owner (e.g. a Creative Commons licence).
The Datasets displayed on the Keepers Registry are provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to their accuracy. To the extent permitted by law, the Host expressly excludes:
- all conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity.
- any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any User in connection with the Keepers Registry or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of the Keepers Registry, any websites linked to it and any Datasets posted on it, including, without limitation any liability for:
- loss of income or revenue;
- loss of business;
- loss of profits or contracts;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of data;
- loss of goodwill;
- wasted management or office time; and
Viruses, Hacking and Other Offences
You must not misuse the Keepers Registry by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to the Keepers Registry, the server on which the Keepers Registry is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the Keepers Registry. You must not attack the Keepers Registry via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack.
By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. The Host will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use the Keepers Registry will cease immediately.
The Host will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the Keepers Registry or to your downloading of any Datasets posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
The following words and expressions have the following meanings unless inconsistent with the context:
|Dataset||means a set of files containing metadata;|
|Depositor||An archiving agency (such as CLOCKSS Archive, Global LOCKSS Network, e-Depot at Koninklijke Bibliotheek, Portico, and the British Library), or an organisation such as the ISSN International Centre, that contributes a Dataset to the Keepers Registry;|
|EDINA||A centre for digital expertise and online service delivery at the University of Edinburgh;|
|Host||means The University Court of the University of Edinburgh, a charitable body registered in Scotland under registration number SC005336, incorporated under the Universities (Scotland) Acts, with its registered address at Old College, South Bridge, Edinburgh, EH8 9YL, providing the Keepers Registry service through EDINA;|
|Keepers Registry||The Keepers Registry stores e-journal preservation information Datasets and is hosted at the University of Edinburgh and operated by the EDINA National Data Centre;|
|Report||A report generated by a User containing content derived from Datasets submitted by one or more Depositors;|
|Terms and Conditions of Use||means the terms and conditions of use of a Dataset to be accepted by a User prior to use of the Keepers Registry; and|
|User||means a third party user of the Keepers Registry.|
|Address:|| EDINA, |
University of Edinburgh,
3 Lady Lawson Street,
|Phone:||+44(0)131 650 3302|
|Fax:||+44(0)131 650 3308|
The Keepers Registry banner image is copyright iStockphoto © 2008Back to top